Quality Assurance Committee
Council’s Quality Assurance Committee assesses the College’s performance related to the objects or purposes established in the Ontario College of Teachers Act. The committee reviews each of these objects and identifies opportunities to further support the achievement of them. It reports at least annually to Council.
During 2014, the committee reviewed the College’s 11 objects related College to regulatory activities in the following areas:
- the regulation of the teaching profession
- the accreditation of professional and ongoing teacher education programs and programs leading to Additional Qualifications
- the establishment and enforcement of professional and ethical standards
- Certificates of Qualification and Registration
- investigative and disciplinary processes
- communicating with the public on behalf of College members.
In connection with the external review of the College’s investigations and discipline practices, the committee has developed draft guidelines with respect to conflicts of interest and bias. The guidelines are intended to be a plain-language resource document for Council members to assist them in identifying conflicts of interest and circumstances in which bias does or may exist.
The committee also developed interim measures pending legislative amendments to put into effect recommendations coming out of the external review, reviewed the College’s communications plan, and recommended that key performance indicators be developed to assess the impact of the College’s professional advisories.
Back to Top